History of Vogel Center
Vogel Center is the oldest settlement of Europeans between the cities of Manistee, Traverse City, and Big Rapids. Jan Vogel and three companions arrived here in 1869 and they built homes and farms in this community. Others soon followed and our church was officially organized in 1872. The first log church building was constructed in 1878 and the first minister, Rev. J. Schepers was called in 1881. In the early 1900’s, the congregation reached a size of around 115 families.
In the following 100 years, there have been many other changes, including the transition to the English language, a new building, and the introduction of various technologies, but our church has remained the same in many important ways. We remain an agricultural community, rooted in family, our Reformed heritage, and a firm faith in Christ and the Gospel.